Sunday, January 10, 2016

Feliz Año Nuevo!
   It's amazing how as missionaries, everyday we are out in the cold
or heat, rain or snow, just to find maybe one person who will listen
to our message. Often times we do not even realize the good that we
are doing. From the kind smile to bringing someone into the fold of
Christ, we do a lot of service and yet and some points it can feel
daunting. My companion and I have had a lot of success this week, but
we didn't even realize the good that we had been doing until Sunday.
    Many times our visits cancel on us, and that is why we end up in
the street again. This happened many times this week, but one day we
decided to go and visit the mom a recent convert who was not a member.
The mom wasn't there, but our recent convert was. We visited with her
for a little while. She had been struggling a bit and we shared with
her some scriptures and gave her courage to keep moving forward. We
left her with a smile on her face. When Sunday rolled around, she went
up to share her testimony and we were surprised to hear her talk a
little about how much our visit had helped her. She had decided to
serve a mission and very content with her decision.
      On New Years we ate some typical Spanish food and lots of
chocolate with the mother of our relief society president. We did the
tradition of the twelve grapes at Midnight with the sisters in our
apartment. I can never get all of the grapes down because they have
seeds in them.
     Sunday seemed like a day of the missionaries. One of our
investigators came! My companion was asked to give the opening prayer
in sacrament meeting, the elders passed the sacrament, I gave the
opening prayer in gospel principles, and my companion and I gave the
lesson in relief society about goals. I got into relief society and
saw the daughter of a member we visit, and this little girl does not
allow hugs. She is only one, but it has been my goal to get a hug from
her. After 6 months of being here, my companion was allowed a hug, but
Sunday was my day. I bent down and said, "Hermione (yes, that is her
name) un abrazo por favor?" And she gave me a hug! I felt accomplished
in that moment.
       Random thought: I think I found out the reason that the Spanish
people give besos as a greeting! In 2 Corinthions 13:12 it says "Greet
one another with an holy kiss." The people here are very Catholic so
it's possible.
       I was also studying another scripture this week in 2
Corinthians 12:9-10 that says, "9 And he said unto me, My grace is
sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most
gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power
of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in
necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for
when I am weak, then am I strong."

       During this time of year we are normally setting goals to
better ourselves, but so often after the first week/month we get
discouraged and give up. We start to recognize our weaknesses. I would
encourage all of us to not get discouraged. Instead recognize that our
weaknesses and rejoice in them because they are the way that Christ
shows his power. As we work every day to over come our weaknesses,
little by little through the enabling power of Christ they can be made
strong.

 I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Hermana Schmidt


No comments:

Post a Comment