Thursday, October 1, 2015

¡Hola a todos!
     Another week has already past? The time just keeps flying by. We had transfer calls on Saturday this week and... I'm staying in Santander and will have my first American companion, Hermana Jorgensen. We came into the mission field together, but about three months into he mission she was sent home for medical reasons. Santander will be her first area back here in Spain. President called me to let me know that I would have to help her get back into the routine of things, but I'm not too worried about her. From what I remember, she is very sweet and loves the work. I'm sure that I will learn a lot.  
      We had exchanges again with the sister training leader. My companion went to Bilbao and I stayed here in Santander with Hermana Randall, who is actually younger than me on the mission. It dawned on me that I have always been with a companion that has more time than me on the mission, so being with Hermana Randall was a change. It was fun to work with an American that knew less Spanish than me. We had a day full of lessons and a lot of success.
       On Friday the Elders had a baptism, and we had found it strange that they hadn't asked us to do anything because normally us missionaries always participate in the program. So, we sat down and were talking with the members a little, and then the elders came up to us and said, "hey you are going to be speaking while the people are changing clothes." What! Well, I guess we should have been prepared for that. Really quick, we came up with something to talk about, and it turned out okay. Lesson learned: when the time to act comes, the time to prepare has passed.
          Afterwards, we went to the house of a member who invited us over for a midday snack. He is not a very talkative man, but since he lives alone we brought another girl with us. The man told us that he liked flowers and when we arrived at his house we could see that he wasn't lying. There were fake fake flowers in the corners, on the tables, in the kitchen... I don't think I've ever seen a house with so many flowers. It was a bit much, but we sat down and he began to bring out the food. He kept bringing out more food, but after the first little bit we couldn't eat anymore. My companion stuffed some chocolates in her purse for later. I'm going to miss that girl. We were always laughing about the little strange things that happened everyday.
             For the farewell of my companion, our recent converts, Carolina and Cesar, had a little get together with some of the members. As my companion and I walked into their house we were surprised to see a table full of all things minion. Minion cupcakes, minion cake, and minion cookies! My companion is obsessed with minions. They also made an album for her and gave her a book. We related experiences that we had had together, and our hearts were full of gratitude for having had the opportunity to help Carolina and Cesar come unto Christ. I'm so glad that I have a little more time with them. 😄
              As I was studying this morning, I learned a lot about the principle of obedience: in D&C 130:20-21 it says, 
"20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated--
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."
I know that all commandments are given to us to bless us, and that God knows the end from the beginning and if we put our trust in him and truly love him, keeping the commandments will not just be something that we should do but it will be something that we want to do. As we live faithfully, we can have the assurance that when we meet our Father in Heaven he will say to us, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant...enter...into the joy of thy Lord." -Matt. 25:21

Love you all and hope you have a great week!

Hermana Schmidt






No comments:

Post a Comment